Causa Research is a company spun out of Wake Forest University School of Medicine in 2012.
The company is based on exciting research by Dr. Steve Feldman on how to significantly improve patients’
adherence to treatment. A leading adherence researcher who has published over 500 peer reviewed studies, Dr. Feldman
has shown that adherence in acne treatment can be more than doubled when patients are asked to self-report
the status of their treatment using online surveys. Additional investigation suggests that this effect is
relevant to many other types of therapies, providing an elegant, simple solution to the intractable problem of poor adherence.
The company has taken the online survey platform that was used in the research and commercialized the platform
to be used by adherence stakeholders—including pharmaceutical companies, insurers, pharmacies, and health care
providers— as a multi-platform service, encompassing web, smartphone and tablet functionality. The Causa Research
service improves the use and effectiveness of treatments, benefiting patients, their health care providers, and the makers and providers of health care products and services.
- More than doubled adherence of teenagers with acne to their topical treatment.
- Designed to incorporate multiple dimensions of behavioral psychology.
- Leverages patients' tendencies to be much more adherent in clinical trials than they are in clinical practice.
- Puts a human touch on the experience of taking medication.
- Low cost, easy and ready to implement.